Infiltration and losses, #2 H&H Essentials
Quantify infiltration and other losses for modelling
(Course code: OD-22-8-057)
In this 3-hour intensive training course our experts will guide attendees through the importance of characterising and quantifying infiltration and other losses for application to hydrologic and hydraulic models.
Attendees will increase their knowledge of loss techniques and the sensitivity of modelling results to the selected parameters. Throughout the course attendees will be shown practical working examples, learning hands-on how to use and apply different loss models, leading to an increased understanding of confidence limits, probability, and uncertainty in the analysis and application of antecedent conditions and the characterisation of soil type, land use, and vegetation cover in rainfall-runoff modelling.
To find out more about the series, see below.
Format: Take sessions anytime, at your own pace, with unlimited course access for 4 months.
Cost: AUD$195 (includes GST) or combine with the full H&H Series and save 15%
Contact: Joel Voortman
This course is part of our H&H Essentials series
Key concepts/topics covered
- Initial and continuing losses: abstraction vs transmission
- Depression storage and artificial terrain storage
- Proportional losses
- SCS Curve Numbers and soil moisture accounting
- Green and Ampt method
- Base flow
- Losses in urban areas
- Evaporation and evapotranspiration
- Water balance and water observations from space
- How to select a loss model
- How to apply sensitivity analyses around losses
- How to incorporate pre-burst and antecedent conditions
- How to remove artificial terrain storage from direct precipitation models
This course is part of our H&H Essentials series, comprised of 8 individual intensive 3-hour courses with each course flowing into the next enabling attendees to build their skills piece by piece through every course. Each course in the series will focus on a key principle of hydrology and hydraulics. Click here to register for the ENTIRE series.
These courses are designed to cater for engineers and non-engineers alike, with a range of provided background materials that make the course suitable for both beginners and experienced professionals seeking a refresher for the underlying concepts behind hydrologic and hydraulic modelling applications.
Each course consists of 3-hours of recordings with pre and post-course materials delivered through sequential units via our customised learning platform. The courses include electronic copies of background material and workshop instructions, with pre-readings/videos and manuals available for ongoing learning.
You will have unlimited access for 4-months.
What’s included within each of the 8 courses in the series:
- 3-hours of session recordings to view as many times as required;
- Ability to ask questions to the presenters at any time through the learning platform;
- PDF manual of the course available for ongoing use;
- Workshop material for hands-on exercises downloaded from the learning platform before starting the session recordings;
- Pre-reading and viewing materials;
- Homework modules and quizzes where relevant.
Pre-course reading and video watching is encouraged.
A good internet connection and software and downloads as described in the learning platform. To provide the best desired learning outcomes, set up in a quiet space with dual monitors (i.e., one screen with the on-demand recording and the other with the software/exercise that attendees can work on simultaneously).
On completion of the course attendees will be issued with a Certificate of Participation. Attendees earn CPD hours/points with professional organisations for at least 5 hours per course (therefore 40+ hours for the series).