Dr Martin R. Hendriks is Associate Professor (retired) of Physical Geography & Hydrology at the Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University. He studied Physical Geography at the University of Amsterdam and obtained a PhD in Earth Sciences, Hydrology from the VU University Amsterdam. Martin has written in international scientific journals and co-supervised PhD studies. At Utrecht University he has teached the principles of fieldwork and hydrology for more than three decades. His primary research areas used for education purposes have been the forested Keuper marls in East Luxembourg, the Pays du Buëch in the French Alps, and the Kawah Ijen volcano in East Java, Indonesia. Martin has made it his primary task to educate students of Physical Geography, Earth Sciences and Environmental Sciences to recognize misconceptions and to avoid the pitfalls of hydrology. This has culminated in writing the textbook ‘Introduction to Physical Hydrology’ (Oxford University Press) – also available in Chinese – and the presentation of a series of Physical Hydrology video lectures, freely available on YouTube.
Courses involved in:
- Live course: Flood hazard, scour and sedimentation, #8 H&H Essentials (June 2022)
- Live course: 1D, 2D and 3D flow, #6 H&H Essentials (June 2022)
- Live Course: Hydrostatics and open channel flow, #5 H&H Essentials (June 2022)
- Live Course: Stochastic hydrology, #4 H&H Essentials (May 2022)
- Live Course: Flow routing, #3 H&H Essentials (May 2022)