Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Claim CPD hours with Engineers Australia. All AWS courses are eligible, under Type 2 of the guidelines available here: engineersaustralia.org.au.
Internationally, AWS courses may also be eligible for Professional Development Hours and attendees have deemed our training appropriate in the past without any objection.
In the USA eligibility requirements vary from State-to-State. Below is an excerpt from https://www.pdhnow.com may assist:
- Most states do not pre-approve PDH courses
- PDH courses should be relevant to the practice of engineering and may include technical, management and ethics topics. A good guideline for choosing acceptable courses is: “Any qualifying course or activity with a clear purpose and objective which will maintain, improve, or expand the skills and knowledge relevant to the licensee’s field of practice.”
- Typical Qualifying PDHs: Courses, seminars, instruction, in-house programs, or training with engineering content that relates to the licensee’s field of practice. Computer-based online PDH courses which relate to the improvement of one’s business or profession.
Gaining employer approval
We know you are busy, so to help with gaining approval to attend AWS courses we have provided some tips to help you put your business case forward.
Have a look at the text in this letter to get you started on seeking employer approval.
Focus on what you will bring back to your organisation. Mention sessions and topics that have particular relevance to your role and your organisation. If a number of staff are interested, ask us for a group discount and advise your manager.
All AWS training courses include:
- Presentations by eminent water professionals
- Pre-course reading and resources
- Tutorials and discussions
- Opportunity to connect with local and international participants online
- Small group sizes to allow for greater interaction
Also mention how the training will:
- Provide opportunities to discuss your role and its challenges with industry experts
- Improve your knowledge and skill set
- Increase your productivity and efficiency
- Discuss new technologies and provide real-world examples and case studies
- Update knowledge on policies/legislation or commercial opportunities
- Encourage team-building when participating as a group
Post course, consider:
- Giving a short presentation to share what you achieved and the knowledge gained with your team and manager
- Claiming CPD hours with Engineers Australia (under Type 2 of the guidelines available here)
- Sharing the course material with your team, after the course they will be available to you in PDF format