ARR Course #4: Flood Hydraulics
Gain an understanding of the basic aspects of hydraulics and how to apply the ARR blockage procedures.
(Course code: OD-21-1-004)
In this 3-hour intensive training course experts will cover hydraulic modelling of river reaches, floodplains and structures for design flood estimation, the application of software for numerical modelling of flood hydrographs, blockage of hydraulic structures and interaction of coastal and catchment flooding.
Format: 3-hour course + pre/post-course materials via the learning platform with access for FOUR months
Cost: AUD$195 (includes GST) or combine with the full ARR Series and save 25%
Contact: Joel Voortman
Or register now for this individual course.
Throughout the course attendees will be shown practical working examples, learning hands-on how to use and apply different rainfall related design inputs, including:
Key concepts/topics covered
• how to apply the ARR blockage procedure
• interaction of coastal and riverine flooding
• how to apply arr blockage procedure
• what to look for in reviewing a model for non modellers
• how to apply hazard curves
The course is delivered through 5 sequential units via the learning platform
- 3-hour recordings of the live session
- Pre-and-post-course materials to go through via the learning platform.
- Course PDF of PowerPoint to download.
Australian Rainfall and Runoff (ARR) is the national guideline document, data and software suite for the estimation of design flood characteristics in Australia.
Originally published in 1958 by Engineers Australia, ARR 4th edition was released in 2019 with support of the Commonwealth Government of Australia and Geoscience Australia. With national applicability, balancing the varied climates of Australia, it is a pivotal framework to the safety and sustainability of Australian infrastructure, communities and the environment. The information and the approaches presented in Australian Rainfall and Runoff are essential for policy decisions and projects involving:
- infrastructure such as roads, rail, airports, bridges, dams, stormwater and sewer systems;
- town planning;
- developing flood management plans for urban and rural communities;
- flood warnings and flood emergency management;
- operation of regulated river systems; and
- estimation of extreme flood levels.
ARR 4th edition is a major update to guidelines, the first in 30 years and consists of The Guidelines and associated Data hub and software.
The ARR On-demand Training Series is designed to be taken individually. Each course is highly practical and hands-on (ie; not simply a PowerPoint of lectures), turning ARR policy and research into practice.
To provide the best desired learning outcomes, setup in a quiet space with dual monitors (ie one screen with the session recordings and the other with the software/exercise that attendees can work on simultaneously). The courses are not designed for a board-room setup.
Dependent on the course, attendees will be interacting and developing models, learning software, working through exercises and case studies. Where relevant, attendees will also have homework between courses.
What’s included within each of the 8 On-demand courses in the series:
- 3-hours of session recordings to view as many times as required within the allocated time;
- Ability to ask questions to the presenters at anytime through the learning platform;
- PDF manual of the course. The manual is recommended for ongoing use;
- Any working models/ software’s necessary as per instructions in individual course, downloaded from the learning platform before starting the session recordings;
- Some courses have Exercises / homework to complete between courses;
- Pre-reading and viewing materials;
- Ability to access all the online course materials within the allocated time. The pre-readings and manual are available for ongoing learning;
- Attendees earn CPD hours/points (ie with Engineers Australia) for at least 5 hours per-course (therefore 40+ hours for the Series).
Pre-course reading and video watching is encouraged.
A good internet connection and software and downloads as described in the learning platform. To provide the best desired learning outcomes, setup in a quiet space with dual monitors (ie one screen with the on-demand recording and the other with the software/exercise that attendees can work on simultaneously). The courses are not designed for a board-room setup.
On completion of the course attendees will be issued with a Certificate of Participation.
Register for the ENTIRE series for 25% discount.
Or register now for this individual course.