7th Groundwater Essentials
Storage and Movement of Groundwater
This two day course will highlight the importance of groundwater, a hidden resource with the vast majority of the world’s fresh water underground.
Date: Thursday, 9 June 2016 - Friday, 10 June 2016
This course addresses the fundamentals of groundwater including local and global water balances, types of aquifers, and the interaction of surfacewater and groundwater.
Groundwater Essentials topics include:
- How important is groundwater to us?
- Global and local water balances
- Where do we find groundwater?
- Introduction to Hydrogeology and Aquifers
- How do we assess our resource?
- How do we access groundwater, how is it stored and how does it move, aquifer testing and estimation using pumping tests, monitoring groundwater and Analysis of groundwater data
- Groundwater-Surface water Interactions.
- What are the connections, ecosystem dependence on GW & SW, issues of double-dipping
- Land use impacts – intro to chemistry, quality, contamination.
- Groundwater chemistry and water quality, pollution and remediation of groundwater
- Managing groundwater – quantity focus.
- Allocate, licence and manage our resources to achieve sustainability
- Protecting groundwater – quality focus.
- Protect our resources to avoid contamination to assure sustainability
- Case Studies and Tutorials