On-demand: Sediment Transport with HEC-RAS
Learn how to predict sediment movement, along with mud and debris flow measuring capabilities, using the latest version of HEC-RAS.
This on-demand series consists of 3 x 2 hour sessions and will address a range of sediment transport modelling topics, including mud and debris flow measuring capabilities that have just been added to both 1D and 2D modelling in HEC-RAS version 6.0. Attendees will work through setting up a sediment transport model in HEC-RAS, performing the simulation and interpreting results.
Format: Take sessions anytime, at your own pace with unlimited course access for 30-days.
Cost: AUD$495 (includes GST)
Contact: Joel Voortman
Or register now for this individual course.
After this training you will have a good understanding of the following:
1. Typical applications of sediment transport models.
2. Input data required to perform sediment transport modelling.
3. HEC-RAS model capabilities and limitations.
4. New features including:
– Mud and debris flows capabilities
– Perform full blow sediment transport, erosion and deposition modelling to the 2D solver
– New 1D sediment features
Learning with presenters of this calibre will be valuable professional development for engineers, planners, geomorphologists, modellers, and others working around rivers and reservoirs.
Content and delivery
- The course starts with a basic hydraulic model of a river reach.
- You will then enter various sediment and hydrologic inputs necessary to run this as a sediment transport model, going over some of the different options in the program.
- Execute the model and go through the different ways to examine and interpret the results.
- Add complications by using “real” river cross sections.
- Some of the more advanced features and optional capabilities of HEC-RAS will be demonstrated.
- The course is delivered through units via the learning platform
- 6+ hours of recordings
- Pre-and-post-course materials to read through via the learning platform.
- Ability to access all the online course materials with unlimited course access for 30-days.
Eroding rivers and sediment-filled reservoirs pose an increasing threat to lives, environment, and infrastructure around the world.
Join us in this on-demand training where we’ll cover the challenges and opportunities associated with mobile-bed hydraulic modelling, which has the potential to allow the prediction and mitigation of impacts associated with sediment movement.
Pre-course reading and video watching is encouraged.
The HEC-RAS Training Series is designed to be taken individually. Each course is highly practical and hands-on ie; not simply a PowerPoint of lectures.
To provide the best desired learning outcomes, set up in a quiet space with dual monitors (i.e. one screen with the session and the other with the software/exercise that attendees can work on simultaneously). The courses are not designed for a board-room setup.
- x3, 2-hour sessions and the recordings to view as many times as required in a month;
- PDF manual of the course. The manual is recommended for ongoing use;
- Working models, downloaded from the learning platform before starting the course;
- Exercises / homework to complete between sessions;
- Pre-reading and viewing materials;
- Ability to access all the online course materials for a month. The pre-readings and manual are available for ongoing learning;
- Attendees earn 9+ CPD hours/points (ie with Engineers Australia), 40+ hours for the Series.
Requirements: A good internet connection and the latest version of HEC-RAS.
Completion: On completion of the course attendees will be issued with a Certificate of Participation.
Places are limited to allow for greater interaction.